Thursday, March 25, 2010

3/25/10

Email:
I've got a beef with HPM too. We were given a 60 day notice (FOR NO REASON) last week. i called to ask why and they didn't have to give us a reason. we really think it's because we're queer. if we did nothing wrong, what else could it be? We've lived here for 3 years, never late on rent, never caused any problems. Our apartment has had many problems (including us having to flea bomb it when we moved in, and had to clean extensively when moving in). and don't get me started on our toilet. i just hope everyday i won't fall through to the ground floor apartment while sitting on it, due to the leaking water (that the maintanance guy "fixed" 3 times and it still leaks). but knowing them when we're gone they won't fix anything, hike up the rent and have another couple move in.
what can we do?
powerless here in eureka

Reply:
I'm not too sure about the legalities of asking you to move without reason either. You could google some info on it. Unfortunately, I think if you're on a monthly lease then all they have to give is 30 days. If you're on a year lease and they break it, then you have some recourse.
Only thing I can suggest is if you have any repair issues that have gone un-fixed, calling the city of eureka or the county. By law, they can't charge you rent for living in a place in disrepair and they may owe you back rent. You can also call the city or county on any rotten wood/walls/floors.


3/24/10

Email:
ya I agree with you I've been looking around and its hard if you hear of any good rental let me know or if you would like to make a run at starting a company lets talk.

1 comment:

  1. I must say I am a tenant of Cottage realty. The property is a bit old, but the rental agency has always been on top of keeping up with repairs when needed and with haste. They have always been friendly and understanding with us. As far as them being a rental agency they stay out of our business as long as we are not being ridiculous, which we are not. I would recommend them again, but I might have just been fortunate to get this house.

    ReplyDelete